EST. 1740

The original bowling green in Kilmarnock was situated north of the cross, lying askew the future East and West George and Portland streets. This area was bounded by the former George Hotel (now Mason and Murphy), the old Bus Station and Back Street. Yuille’s shop was the site of the Bowling Green House which served conveniently as a convivial meeting place for the bowlers. The fact that little is known of the Kilmarnock Bowling Club history, apart from Burgh records, is due to the loss of the minute books up to 1852. This is an interesting date since in that year an abnormal and raging flood completely submerged the centre of the town which lies many feet above the level of the Bowling Green. It is possible that the club records were destroyed in the depths of the destructive waters.

         The 15th of May 1905, must rank as one of the proudest in the history of the club for on that day the land on which the clubhouse and green stood became the property of the Club.

        War-time conditions did not stop the Club celebrating its 200th birthday on 24th April 1940, when despite all restrictions Provost John Wilson, President of the Scottish Bowling Association, supported by T. S. Loggie, Secretary of both the S.B.A. and the International Bowling Board, lead a star-studded cast. The future could only be better but, with over 200 years of history, owning our own ground and with so much given to the national and international game, it seems that our only point of controversy was that of the provision of bar facilities. That amenity eventually came and hard upon its heels, stark tragedy. An act of stupid vandalism on the night of 16th October 1975, saw the Clubhouse and its entire contents go up in flames.